Pages

Feasibility of Becoming Dean of Admissions and Changing the URM System

vendredi 15 juillet 2016
Gandhi said: "Be the change you wish to see..."

My wish is for a change in the admissions system. As an incoming M1, I've entertained thoughts of going into the more administrative sides of things in medicine, such as being on the admissions committee/eventually dean of admissions. From what I've seen around the forum, a common theme/comparison here is underprivileged ORM vs privileged URM during the admissions process.

I guess my question is: How feasible would it be to change the URM based system of admissions into one of purely merit and socioeconomic status at one particular school, completely disregarding one's race? I know some Adcoms have said that this is tough, considering the LCME guidelines on diversity, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I know it's a lot to ask, but if you guys can set your personal differences aside for a moment and offer your thoughts about my hypothetical, that would be wonderful! Please try and keep the discussion away from the overdone URM debate and more on the feasibility of this idea.

*Disclaimer--It's almost inevitable that someone is going to call me out for trolling, so I just want to say this ahead of time: I'm not. I've actually considered the numerous implications of something like this and discussed many facets of this idea with my colleagues in health care over the last year or so.

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.
Recommended article from FiveFilters.org: Most Labour MPs in the UK Are Revolting.



Feasibility of Becoming Dean of Admissions and Changing the URM System

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire