Pages

Considering UC Berkeley Extension...

vendredi 15 juillet 2016
I'm considering applying for the UC Berkeley Extension program, and was hoping to
a) make sure I am converting credits --> course GPA units correctly...24 credit hours = 8 classes, right?
and b) ask for general advice

For a bit of background, I graduated 2 months ago from a top-ranked college...however, I had absolutely ZERO intention of going to med school, and so did not complete med school prereqs. Fortunately, I was a chem major (specifically organic chem...all of my upper level electives were orgo-based) with a strong background in microbiology (worked in a graduate cancer research lab in HS), so I took way more than the required chem and biology (almost completed the bio major as well, but the only remaining courses were ecology and plant-based, which didn't interest me!) So, while I definitely need to take some classes, I don't need very many.

However, my transcript is a little...spotty. There were a few semesters where my focus was not academics or when one course dragged a few other down with it. So not only is my GPA awful for med school (only a 3.2), there's not even a good trend. It's just hit and miss throughout, alternating good and bad semesters.

Pros:
-I have to take some classes anyway
-Avoids prereqs being comm college classes
-Requires at least 24 credit hours (max GPA boost of 3.2-->3.4)
-Allows me to work for a few years before applying (my job is biology/chem research)
-Gives me an upward trend and shows commitment to med career
-Offers some good med-school specific electives (anatomy, phys, virology, CTphys, etc...)
-Offers med school advising.

Cons:
Mainly that it's more expensive and takes a lot of time. Regardless of what I do in Post-Bacc, my undergrad transcript is set. I'm not sure how much credence is given to postbacc grade padding. Will the extra .2 in GPA, earned this way, give me enough of a boost to make it into decent MD programs? Is it worth it?

I'm tempted take my two last prereqs in CC, apply now, and see if my good research background and a (hopefully) 30+MCAT* are enough. Thoughts?

*(I know I shouldn't assume, but I was built to take exams and I will study as long as needed since I'm nontrad anyway!)

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.
Recommended article from FiveFilters.org: Most Labour MPs in the UK Are Revolting.



Considering UC Berkeley Extension...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire